Bayou Auguste Tidal Stream Remediation, Phase 3
Bayou Auguste is a tidal creek in urban Biloxi, Mississippi. Over time, this meandering bayou had been transformed into a channelized stream with development that had encroached from north and south.
Phase 3 of this project involved cleanup of construction materials, riprap, soils, and nuisance dumping refuse from a section near the mouth of the bayou. After removal of material, new marsh-friendly soil was placed in the now-subsided original floodplain to recreate lost fringe marsh habitat. All disturbed areas were stabilized with bioengineered erosion matting to preserve water quality and stabilize planted marsh grasses.
Work completed at this site includes the following:
- Locating and characterizing local reference habitats; References were used to establish species lists and densities
- Completed Baseline Assessment (pre-project)
- Completed a construction stormwater pollution prevention plan (SWPPP) utilizing bioengineered materials
- Provided construction management
- Monitored stormwater best management practices (BMPs)
- Completed As-Built/Year 0 Monitoring Report